It is absolutely essential to measure the load weight on trains and rail cars, not only for maintenance and safety reasons, but also for payload calculations to determine the value of the load being transported. For these reasons, accurate and reliable tools and systems must be used for the taks. Heavy-duty rail weighing scales (or “rail scales” for short) are one form of technology that has been developed to perform the task and provide a solution for such needs.
Rail scales are specially designed to measure the load weight on railcars and trains. Although these rail weigh scales might seem like advanced and complicated systems, most rail scales are actually quite simple in nature.
This technology is highly valuable to various industrial, agricultural, and mining industries that need to weigh loads accurately and efficiently before being shipping. Additionally, these types of rail scales can verify the weight of trains and locomotives, as well as provide general purpose weighing, wheel balancing, portable scale operation, and inventory control. They are extremely accurate and easy to use, making them a popular solution across many different industries.
Benefits of Rail Scale Systems
In industries that work with high volume loads, rail weighing systems provide the best possible solution to determine the weight of a load. So what are some of the benefits of rail scale systems?
- These innovative scales are portable. They can be carried to the location by two people and can be quickly installed in only a few minutes. Portable rail scale systems are very convenient and saves valuable time. The system can also be moved to another set of tracks in only minutes, which means that weight data can be measured on multiple lines.
- This type of system is able to weigh rail car loads that are in motion. They are installed within the track and they measure the weight of the train as the car passes over them. Since the train does not need to stop in order to be weighed, this allows for maximum efficiency.
- Many of these systems have advanced computing software for safety and warnings. This will allow them to distinguish the weights of different elements within the shipment, so that the entire load can be analysed.
- Rail scale technology includes a number of features including cables, sensors, connection bars and drilled joint bars. They will help to capture more accurate measurements of the rail car, especially when they are installed at precise locations.
- Rail scales are a relatively inexpensive solution, compared to costly weighing technology such as rail weighbridge scale systems.
Here’s a video of the In-motion Rail Scale System offered by Walz Scale:
Rail scale systems are valuable tools and it is crucial to be able to measure the weight of a rail car accurately. When a rail car is overloaded and weighs too much, this can lead to excessive wear and tear on the wheels, bearings, axle boxes, drive units, suspension components and gear boxes.
Also, weighing rail cars is important for safety reasons, especially in the mass production and mining industries. Since many of these trains travel at high speeds over long distances, any variation on the recommended weight can cause accidents and derailments.
This is why sophisticated rail weighing technology such as rail scale systems are so valuable within industries that need to ship loads accurately and efficiently.